[Yaourt] Proposal: Automatic rebuild of perl packages

Annonces, dépannage, évolution du projet yaourt
Photon

[Yaourt] Proposal: Automatic rebuild of perl packages

Message par Photon »

Hi forums,

unfortunately my French is not good enough to try writing French, so I rather prefer to use English. :) First of all, thanks to the devs for creating Yaourt, I'm using and loving it from the very first day of using Arch Linux.

I'm maintaining a number of AUR packages, including several packages of perl modules. I'm sure that everybody is aware of the fact that after each perl update perl packages need to be rebuilt in order to continue functioning properly. Since usually I don't pay attention to perl updates, I realize that rebuilding is needed pretty late (usually after I use some program that stops working or somebody comments on the AUR requesting a pkgrel bump). Also bumping several perl packages after each perl update is not really comfortable.

So I would like to make following suggestion: Since we are talking about AUR packages there is not much that can be done on the part of pacman. But couldn't the AUR helpers like yaourt automatically trigger the rebuild of all installed perl packages after each perl update? Then people using AUR helpers won't need pkgrel bumps any more (while people using no AUR helpers don't need them anyway since they can just observe the updates of the main perl package).

If some perl packages can continue working without rebuilding, one could introduce a flag like rebuild_on_perl_update in the PKGBUILD standard which could be read by AUR helpers to rebuild only those packager that need to be rebuilt.

I think, this is a really nasty problem which could be solved relatively easily. What do you think?

Photon
Répondre